SB 224: Tobacco and Nicotine Product Regulation
CS/CS/SB 224 – TOBACCO AND NICOTINE PRODUCT REGULATION by Benacquisto
(CS/CS/CS/HB 169 by Artiles and Renuart)
He strongly believes in the importance of keeping our children safe and healthy. In the last few years, electronic cigarettes have become increasingly popular, particularly among our teenagers because they use vaporizers with bright colors and different flavors. However, these products still contain levels of nicotine that may be harmful. We need to prevent our children from having access to these addictive products. That is why I sponsored legislation this 2014 to keep nicotine and nicotine dispensing products out of the hands of our children. Senate Bill 224 creates a new law to prohibit selling or using nicotine dispensing devices, including e-cigarettes, to and by persons under the age of 18. With this great bill, we have taken another important step in protecting our children from the harmful effects of nicotine.
- The Florida Legislature strongly believes it is important to keep our children safe and healthy.
- With this great bill, we have taken another important step in protecting our children from the harmful effects of nicotine by ensuring they do not have access to these products.
- The bill defines and prohibits the selling or giving of nicotine products and nicotine dispensing devices to minors under the age of 18, punishable as a second degree misdemeanor.
- The bill requires retailers to post certain signs relating to nicotine products and nicotine dispensing devices and keep direct control of such products.
- The bill defines self-service merchandising and prohibits self-service merchandising and open displays of nicotine products or nicotine dispensing devices unless the display is inaccessible to customers.